I do apologize! The shelters page turned out to be a bigger job than I’d imagined, especially when I insist that all shelters I list be clean, healthy and for certain No Kill and I can’t personally check on each one.
I had kinda hoped people would submit shelters from their areas, especially smaller ones run out of love and kindness, so please pm me the info on these special places, and I’ll list them. Use google and make sure to mention if you actually went to check it out (I’m certain the kitties would love a visit and some affection, and I’ll even mention your name in the posting with your approval.)
So, there, an assignment for any who care to take it on, and one that might find a kitty a forever home.
If the whole consumerism thing isn’t for you, I started a little tradition about 3 years ago over at icanhascheezburger.com making Black Friday a day of awareness for black cats and kittens, and the bad rap they get.
The name “Black Friday” made it a natural, with the hint to remember built right in the name, and hopefully, the proximity to Christmas might get one or two people thinking about adopting a black kitty for someone’s special Christmas gift.
It’s a well documented fact that black cats are disproportionally overlooked in shelters.Black cats have the lowest adoption rate and the highest euthanasia rate?
Whether because of superstition, prejudice black cats are statistically less likely to be adopted than more brightly colored felines. Millions of black cats are killed every year simply because they are misunderstood.
- Of the 1,000 shelters that replied to the National Council’s survey, 5 to 7 million animals were handled.
- In 1997, roughly 64 percent of the total number of animals that entered shelters were euthanized — approximately 2.7 million animals in just these 1,000 shelters. These animals may have been euthanized due to overcrowding, but may also have been sick, aggressive, injured or suffering from something else.
- 56 percent of dogs and 71 percent of cats that enter animal shelters are euthanized. More cats are euthanized than dogs because they are more likely to enter a shelter without any owner identification.
- Only 15 percent of dogs and 2 percent of cats that enter animal shelters are reunited with their owners.
- 25 percent of dogs and 24 percent of cats that enter animal shelters are adopted.
It is estimated that approximately 3.7 million animals were euthanized in the nation’s shelters in 2008. This number represents a generally accepted statistic that is widely used by many animal welfare organizations, including the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA).
While superstition likely accounts for a large part of this stigma, black being the color of death and funerals, and that whole “crossing your path” thing, black cats are actually considered lucky in most of Europe, especially England and Scotland. And I happily sit in a chair with black cats crossing my path all day long to prove the superstition wrong. I’ve owned several black cats, and suffered no ill luck.
It’s time we got over this, and stop taking it out on the kitties!
Black Friday 2012. A day for black cats and kittens.
It was clear his mother had left him behind as he was trying to jump up a fence but couldn’t. As i approached him he didn’t back away, instead he started meowing very quietly and i slowly managed to take him into my arms and bring him home. At that time we had another cat, 15 years old, and at first they didn’t get along so much, but day after day they became closer and two years ago, when she died, he kept looking for her in places he know he could find her in. Lupino has a little brother now, and he’s grown into a wonderful, sweet and loving kitty. He waits for me to go to bed just to curl up at my side and cuddle, and he loves to sit in the hammock we built him the other day. I love him to pieces and i cannot imagine what my life would be without him. :)